Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Event 1: Champion - Liang

$500 + $60 Deep Stack (NL)
Gricco Runner-up

Weiwen Liang - $127,060

It only takes one heads up hand to determine the Event 1, Deep Stack champion.

Weiwen Liang (Galloway, NJ) and Joe Gricco (West Chester, PA) both go to the flop without a raise.

Flop: Q 8 7
Liang bets 1 million, Gricco calls
Turn 5
Liang bets 4 million, Gricco reraises all in, Liang calls.

Liang : 2 3 (flopped flush)
Gricco: Q 3 (top pair, drawing dead)

The river is K giving Liang the title. "Even though I'm tired, it feels good," says Liang who's the soul survivor after more than 35 hours of play over 3 days. "It was frustrating when I wasn't able to finish off a couple of people, they just kept coming back."

Gricco's satisfied with his play as well, but disappointed on the final hand. "I over played it," he says. "I thought he had a flush draw." Gricco takes home $83,902 as the runner-up. "I'm pleased," adding, "I didn't get into too much trouble. I stayed away and picked my spots."

As for Liang, he normally doesn't play tournaments, but says he hasn't been running well at the cash tables and gave the deep stack a shot as a change of pace. "I decided to play Sunday at the last minute," he says. "I'm glad I did."



Joe Griccco - $83,902

No comments:

Post a Comment